A Systematic Approach Like None Other: OIIME
Engaging, hands-on intensive training with lectures and one-on-one discussion to build the complete ultrasound protocol to acquire and analyze all images. Most important, we’ll connect the multifactorial why to each step of the ultrasound exam.
For all specialties and experience levels. Held continuously since 1983, this course will set you on the most practical and effective protocol to image the upper abdomen. You’ll learn how to orient yourself to three-dimensional anatomy with 2-D imaging and document every pertinent feature of each organ.
Both physicians and non-physician clinicians will find the class a bedrock foundation to rapidly advance in the field. Our total immersion approach has you at the bedside from the first day. You’ll learn and practice over and over the complete head-to-toe protocol for assessment and measurement of all structures. The very small group setting fosters group interaction and collaborative learning. And to help you gain proficiency with probe orientation and system controls, the scan lab is open 24 hours for your independent practice on yourself or your peers.
Our post-conference support is free in perpetuity.
Who Will Benefit
Allied Health Professionals
There are no prerequisites for this class. If you’ll be returning to an active clinical site you’ll arrive back with a giant leap forward. That mandatory year of clinical experience will be spent on the clock at your work and not in a schoolroom.
Students or graduates who trained in cardiovascular ultrasound will find more employment opportunities as patient management moves toward a whole-body approach. Your resume will look much more attractive with your knowledge of soft tissue sonography.
POC ultrasound begins here. In the hospital you’ll save vast amounts of time in making immediate decisions even as you wait on results of an inevitable sonogram. And as private practice reimbursement leaves behind procedure-based reimbursement in favor of to value-based care, this time saved turns straight into income.
This course will allow you time and practice to perfect the hand-eye coordination to examine any soft tissue and the differential process to dissect the ultrasound exam, including Doppler blood flow.
Research & Medical Device Professionals
As a research scientist, you’ll be able to identify and measure precisely macro organ structure and evaluate microcirculatory organ perfusion immediately. If you’re a medical device professional we’ll make you better able to better build, market and sell your product.
Are You New to Health Care?
Our ultrasound training focus is to take the practicing clinician and escort her or him to vastly greater hands-on ultrasound protocol and analysis skills in record time.
If you’re entering healthcare for the first time, you should consider your long-term goals and opportunities.
In North America, you can apply to any of hundreds of accredited schools (18+ months duration) and upon graduation immediately undertake your formal credentialing exam.
You’ll find the US Government’s most authoritative and current overview of the ultrasound career field here.
The class is strictly small so we can spend time covering the topics we need to and the ones you want to discuss.
- The one simple thing that will take three years off your learning curve and add a decade to your career.
- Vascular structure and function in health and disease: from atherosclerosis to an aneurysm and dissection.
- How to use the vascular system to navigate and identify any structure in the abdomen.
- The very best protocol to quickly survey the abdomen and not miss a thing.
- The stepwise protocol to document every organ and structure.
- Soft tissue imaging and blood flow analysis of the kidneys: the most complete protocol.
- Assessment of the bladder and ureteral function.
- The complete protocol for the thyroid and parotid glands.
- Tough-Guy Techniques to overcome body habitus and gas.
- Everything you see affects everything you can’t: how to connect each sonographic finding to every other.
- How to answer every question sonography can answer in every disease process… in every organ.
- The secrets to precisely standardize and document echogenicity and blood flow.
- Why blood flows the way it does in healthy and diseased vessels: what to look for, what to measure.
- How to analyze and document every pathologic finding: taking the right steps, using the right words.
- How to think your way through any Registry Exam question they could ever ask.
- Next steps: How to maximize your first six months in this new field.
Our approach is totally focused on the patient diagnosis. To this end, we are deeply familiar with virtually every ultrasound machine and the manufacturer’s rationale behind its design, features and functions. Even so, no faculty members have any commercial interests or participation that might influence course content.
There is no formal exam in this class. Learners are continuously evaluated and positive feedback is provided throughout. Upon completion of this activity, you should be able to:
- Perform and document a complete ultrasound scan of the upper abdomen, including all measurements.
- Identify normal gross and substructural anatomy and use standard terminology to describe them; differentiate these true findings from artifact consistently.
- Systematically evaluate the sonographic appearance of each component of every organ and correlate it to the Obstruction-Infection-Infiltration-Mass-Exudation matrix model.
- Describe the histological basis for the acoustic appearance of tissues and structures of different echogenicity; apply this to the differential analysis of soft tissue pathology, shadowing vs. non-shadowing gallstones, and vessel thrombosis.
- Demonstrate the complete protocol for evaluation of AAA and dissection, including assessment of the root and arch segments.
$1500. Three Days (Friday-Saturday) 9am-4pm, (Sunday) 9am-3pm. Scan Lab also open 24 hours for your independent practice. Your tuition includes your complete learning experience, printed course materials and post-conference support in perpetuity. Breakfast and light lunch provided.
We designate this course a non-CME credit activity, meaning that the curriculum is not defined by the constraints of a fixed format. This is to your strategic advantage. Though the content meets and exceeds every academic guideline, we have over many years determined that flexibility in tailoring specific elements—and the delivery to each individual learner’s need and style—supersedes the restraints of a traditionally rigid, time-limited format. It also permits us to openly, honestly and independently without bias discuss virtually every manufacturer’s system features. Too, the broad ranges of clinical professional specialist organizations have developed multiple exclusive brands of applicable CME. We have chosen instead to focus on your lifelong bedside competence and strategic advantage. This decision has permitted us to make our classes microscopically small at the least tuition cost possible. We will be delighted to direct you to the most appropriate free and low-cost traditional CME credit activities available online.